Sue Robb of 4Children talks to Julie Laughton and Alison Britton from the Department for Education about the role of childminders in delivering the 30 hours free entitlement.
We are Lean and Agile
I came across the software a couple of years ago, when I was working as a Digital Business Analyst for a consulting firm. I was working with public sector customers delivering process improvement workshops and writing business cases for change. I was delivering these workshops on site for a day using Post Its and brown paper. This worked very well but was very time consuming and inefficient. Each day onsite would normally equate to a further 2 days’ effort back in the office writing up the processes, interpreting handwriting, requesting clarification or metrics and writing the process report/business case. The actual time elapsed from delivering the workshop to the outputs being ready for distribution could easily be 2-3 weeks.
As a continuous improvement and process geek I started to look at how these could be delivered more efficiently. This is when I came across ENGAGE from Holland I spoke to the company and set up a trial. After an hour webinar with Ted Twaalfhoven I was immediately in love with the product and its benefits. I set about building an As Is and To Be version of my current method of delivering workshops and the future method using ENGAGE with a view to convincing my manager to purchase the product. An hour or so later I had a model showing that I could do each workshop with 40% less effort and delivering the outputs to the customer 50% faster and in a more enjoyable and engaging way. My manager took one look and was convinced and bought the product.
After a year in consulting I decided to start my own company We are Lean and Agile and to partner with ENGAGE to bring the product to the UK public and private sector. The product in Holland is 8 years old in its current incarnation and very mature in its development to deliver its users requirements. In Holland its use is 50/50 between public and private sector users. There are massive companies such as Schiphol Airport, Bavaria Beer and IKEA using the product to Lean their processes and to create process handbooks to support ISO compliance, audits and for training purposes. The product is used heavily in the public sector with 110+ (33%) of Local Authorities (Municipalities) using this to address very similar austerity measures to those we are struggling with in the UK in both health and traditional UK council services.
The product is built to deliver Lean and continuous improvement programmes with too many features and functions to list them all here. Lean has been used consistently across the globe to deliver improvement in processes across all sectors. The tool can also be used with IT systems projects or service mergers to gain greater process understanding prior to change.
The modeler itself is workshop friendly so you can build your maps with the stakeholders in the room. There is no need to draw a line and moving maps around is simple with drag and drop functionality. You add processing and break times to your process steps as well as other data such as customer or business value indicators, roles and costs. You can add additional attributes to your maps such as IT systems or locations via tables. You can look at a swimlane view of your process with one click to look at it split for roles, IT systems or any other attributes you add. You can also create interactive digital Post It sessions to deliver brainstorms or SWOT analysis.
The output of a session is a fully costed process model which can be shared electronically immediately back with the stakeholders for comment and sign off. Comments are made directly in the tool and you are notified and can classify and implement the comments. Delivering the To Be process is easy you can map and model multiple options and compare the outcomes with a couple of clicks. Added to this is the ability to create a process handbook for your finished processes.
Over the last year, we have been focussing on UK Local Authorities and our proud to say we now have over 15 using the tool including Perth and Kinross, Carmarthenshire, Rugby, Exeter and Bracknell Forest. Alongside these Local Authorities we are proud to have other companies in ICT, charity and government sectors such as Sport Wales, Strata Solutions and Livewire Warrington. We believe in building self-sustaining capability in the organisations not selling consultancy. Our ideal engagement is to get the software implemented, train your staff and for you never to have to contact us again (unless you want to!). We offer value add services to help get your projects and programmes moving fast. We are an ENGAGE certified UK training partner and offer sessions tailored to your requirements. The tools functionality fits perfectly with the public sector agenda and delivering services in our continuing austere times.
Benefits for your analysts
- Workshop friendly so no more time-consuming write ups
- Brainstorm module for electronic interactive ‘Post It’ sessions
- Brainstorm apps available for smartphones for easy stakeholder engagement
- Business friendly icons to make maps easier to understand and communicate
- Share maps electronically and stakeholders feedback directly on the maps
- Powerful analysis tools to help identify costs, improvements and savings
- One click to view models in swimlanes
- Easily model scenarios to identify options or phases for process improvements
- Compare your As Is and To Be to show benefits of change
- Add icons to customise your maps for your organisation
- A wide range of export functions for word, excel, powerpoint and visio
- Lean analysis tool with a wide range of statistical outputs
- Out of the box reports to support project delivery
- Write better business cases with fully costed models
- Add rich details to process models by uploading documents to your models
Benefits for Service, Project or Programme managers
- Speed up your business process analysis
- Models not maps - understand your process metrics and benefits
- Ease your transition to new ways of working with stakeholder ownership of co-created models
- Process handbook capability to get more value from your models as a full process handbook for audit, quality or training purposes
- Ensure business changes are backed by business case based proposals
- Provides support to newly trained or inexperienced analysts
- Cloud hosted so no server or installation/upgrade costs
- Be up and running within a day of purchase
- Teamboard available to manage and monitor your projects
- Reporting available for easy views of all process data
- Supports lean, agile and traditional waterfall projects
- Available on Digital Marketplace for easy procurement
- Supports continuous improvement culture
- Identify savings and benefits of process improvements
- Digital process handbook capability to gain added value from process maps and ensure maps do not just go on a shelf after initial project use.
- Speed up project delivery
- Do more for less
- Reduce project costs
- Provides GDPR data mapping functionality in addition to core functionality and free GDPR process maps to customers
- Identify opportunities for future enhancements or system improvements
- Enterprise licence available for whole organisation transformation
Our users are utilising our software in a wide range of projects and programmes including digital transformation, agile/flexible work, software rationalisation, target operating model, GDPR compliance and lean/continuous improvement initiatives.
Any organisation that needs to save money, generate better business cases, improve processes to be more efficient, engage stakeholders to improve transition to new services or just needs to capture and understand their processes will benefit from this software. The ROI for this product is easily achieved with just a single analyst utilising the tool. Normal entry licence for the software starts at just under £6k per annum for 10 named users and 2 concurrent. This is full SAAS product so no additional costs of implementation exist and you can be up and running in an hour.
Don’t just believe us, here is an excerpt from a testimonial by Locklynne Hall – Operations Director – Livewire Warrington and Culture Warrington following some workshops in 2017 to kick off their use of the software
Thank you for spending 7 days with 30 or so of my colleagues and I. No doubt I speak for all when I suggest that we found the sessions informative, thought provoking and hugely reflective. I think what was particularly clever was being able to create a mental state for the group whereby we could pause from the day job and ask the question, why the hell are doing what we are doing. Obviously, this is the skill of the facilitator I thought you were consistently excellent.
We are so confident of the tools capability we offer a free month’s trail for a user in your organisation plus a free hour and a half introduction webinar. Try it and map some of your processes and see what it can do – There is nothing like this on the market seeing is believing.
Contact us for more information or to arrange a demo. Have a look at the website for more details or to view our process blogs.